Safety is paramount for older adults – one fall or trip can have far reaching consequences. We are sharing a home safety checklist for you to review and share with others as well. These tips can help you stay healthy and well!
Home Safety Checklist:
- Remove things you can trip over (paper, books, clothes, shoes) from stairs and walkways.
- Install hand rails and lights on all staircases.
- Remove small throw rugs or use double sided tape to keep the rugs from slipping.
- Keep items you use often in cabinets you can reach easily (without using a step stool)
- Put grab bars inside and next to the tub or shower and next to your toilet.
- Use non-slip mats in the bathtub and on shower floors.
- Improve lighting in your home. As you get older, brighter lights will help you see well.
- Hang lightweight curtains or shades to reduce glare.
- Wear shoes inside and outside your home. Avoid going barefoot or wearing slippers.